1999 Violence Fact Sheet
American Academy of Child and Adolescent
- In 1996, the National Center on Child Abuse and Neglect reported
969,018 cases of violent crimes committed against children
- In 1996-97, 10 percent of all public schools reported at least one
serious violent crime to police or law enforcement (Bureau of Justice
Statistics and Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention,
U.S. Department of Justice).
- Gunshot wounds to children ages 16 and under have increased 300
percent in major urban areas since 1986.
- According to FBI reports, 2,900 juveniles were arrested for murder
- Estimates indicate that as many as 5,000 children die each year as a
result of mistreatment and abuse from parents or guardians.
- Everyday in America 16 children and youths are killed by firearms
(Children's Defense Fund, 1998).
- Nearly a million U.S. students took guns to school during 1998
(Parents Resource Institute for Drug Education).
- Each year 123,400 children are arrested for violent crimes in the
U.S. (Office of Juvenile Justice and Juvenile Delinquency Prevention,
- Persons under age 25 make up nearly 50 percent of all victims of a
serious violent crime (The Institute for Youth Development, 1998).
The American Academy of Child and Adolescent
Psychiatry is a national, professional, non-profit medical
organization established in 1953 to support and advance child and
adolescent psychiatry through national public information, continuing
medical education, and research. The 6,900 member child and adolescent
psychiatrists actively research, evaluate, diagnose, and treat
psychiatric disorders affecting children, adolescent, and their
families. The AACAP disseminates information in an effort to remove the
stigma associated with mental illnesses, promote prevention of mental
illnesses, and assure proper treatment for the children and adolescents
who suffer from mental, emotional, behavioral, or developmental
3615 Wisconsin Avenue
Home | About
AACAP | What's
New? | Members
Only | Facts for
Releases | Legislation | Meetings | Journal &
Publications | Award
Practice | Research | Training | Regional
JobSource | Resource